Coconuts can be found everywhere in Vietnam. The coconut juice can be used in multiple Vietnamese dishes, particularly to give the sauted sauce or broth a natural sweet flavour. Besides, desserts made from either coconut flesh or juice are always popular. Coconut jelly recipe (Rau Câu Dừa) is one of the most popular desserts in Vietnam. These silky and soft treats are easy to prepare at home and always a favorite at potlucks and parties for all ages. This classic Vietnamese dessert contains a layer of coconut juice gelatin, which is topped with a layer of sweet coconut milk gelatin. Are you curious to know how to make it? It is very simple. Learn about how to prepare this homemade dessert with detailed directions below.
Vietnamese Coconut Jelly Recipe: Delicious For Every Occasion
I. What You Need:
- Eight coconut fruits
- Two packets of jelly powder
- 320g of rock sugar
- 30g of fresh butterfly pea flower
- Coconut cream
- 180g of pandan leaves
- 7 Vanilla tubes
II. How To Make Coconut Jelly Recipe
- Use a knife to cut around the mouth of the coconuts. You should choose the mature coconuts because its water is sweet. Avoid choosing old coconuts.
- After cutting these coconuts, you get about 3.5L of coconut water to make coconut jelly recipe.
- After that, you turn the coconuts upside-down to make them dry. This step will help the jelly don’t get separated after pouring it into the coconuts.
- Mix 1 packet of jelly powder with 220g of rock sugar to create a thick layer in the bottom of the coconuts.
- Mix 100g of rock sugar with 3g of jelly powder to make surface layers.
Note: Make sure to mix these ingredients thoroughly to avoid clumping.
- Pour the 220g of sugar mixed with a packet of jelly powder into 3.5L of coconut water while stirring well so that these ingredients are dissolved completely. You can add a little salt to preserve the jelly longer.
- After that, bring this mixture to a boil while stirring. After five minutes, you add 100g to 150g of pandan leaves to it and continue cooking for two minutes to give fragrance to the coconut jelly. Turn off the heat and pour 5 Vanilla tubes to this mixture (always keep the mixture warm).
Note: Don’t boil the pandan leaves more than two minutes because if keeping longer, the jelly will be bitter and not delicious. Stir well during cooking.
- To make the top layer of the coconut jelly, you dissolve 100g of sugar mixed with 3g of jelly powder into 250ml of water (you can use coconut cream instead of water if you want). You also pour the mixture slowly and stir well to avoid clumping. Then you put a pinch of salt and boil the mixture. When you cook, remember to stir constantly.
- When boiling for about 5 minutes, pour 1.2L of coconut cream into it, turn off the stove and add two vanilla tubes. Then, divide the mixture into three bowls.
- To create a beautiful color for the top layer of jelly, you boil 30g of pea flower with 60ml of water and filter the water. Plus, use 30g of grinded pandan leaves with 60ml of water and strain the water.
- You have got 60ml each of pandan leaf water and butterfly pea flower water. Then, you prepare more 60ml of water to mix into three bowls of jelly. To make the green of the pea turn purple, just need to squeeze a little lemon into it. Warm up the mixture.
- You can smooth the coconut pulp slightly to create cohesion when pouring the jelly.
- When pouring, the mixture is not too hot, just warm. You pour the inner layer of jelly first, leaving a 1cm gap at the top.
- Once the inner layer of the jelly has just shrunk, use a toothpick to gently scratch the surface of the jelly, then pour the jelly topping.
- Once the jelly has cooled, close the lid and store in the refrigerator for three to six hours. Finally, enjoy it.
This delicious smooth treat only takes simple ingredients to make it. Then just store it in the fridge for several hours, and it is ready to be devoured! This coconut jelly recipe is a refreshing treat for everybody to enjoy on any occasion. For other delicious recipes, go to our main Recipes page.
By Mai Cao
Leave a Reply