Vietnamese beef stew recipe (Bò Kho) is a classic dish you need to get to know when coming to Vietnam. This dish has a wonderful depth of flavor from lemongrass, ginger, coconut water, and aromatic spices. It is warming, delicious, and easy to make as well. To cook this recipe, you must spend much time stewing beef, because it is more tasty when enjoying a soft beef than a hard beef. Although it will take a bit of time to make, it is totally worth it.
Vietnamese Traditional Beef Stew Recipe: Simple Steps To Make It At Home
- 1 kg of beef (beef ribs or beef outside skirt)
- 400g of carrots
- 100g of onions
- 100g of ginger
- 100g of lemongrass
- Basil leaves
- 50g of minced shallots
- 50g of minced garlic
- 3 lemons
- 2 minced chilies
- 1 liter of water
- 500ml of coconut water
- 2 tablespoons of Mui Kwe Lu Liquor
- 3 tablespoons of rice wine
- 2 tablespoons of beef stew marinate powder
- 2 tablespoons of chili sauce
- 5g of cinnamon
- 3g of star anise
- 2 tablespoons of rock sugar
- 1 tablespoon of broth mix
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- Cut 5 thinly ginger slices and chop up them. Cut the remaining ginger into small chunks and then crush. Split the crushed ginger into two parts; one part for marinating the beef and another one for cleaning it.
- Mince the shallots, ginger, and chili. You crush and chop 1 stalk of lemongrass, and cut the remaining stalks of lemongrass in half.
- Roast the cinnamon and star anise until they smell good.
- Put the beef, crushed ginger, and rice wine in a bowl and mix them for 5 minutes. Ginger will help reduce the fishy smell of the beef. Then, rinse the beef again with water.
- Let the beef dry and cut in pieces in the breadth of three fingers. Don’t cut into tiny pieces because the beef can be more prone to cracking while cooking.
- Pour the vegetable oil in a pan and heat until it reaches a boil. Sauté half of the minced shallots, garlic, lemongrass, and chili until golden and fragrant.
- Marinate the sautéed mixture, rock sugar, salt, chili sauce, soy sauce, broth mix, beef stew marinate powder with the beef and mix them well. Marinate for about two hours.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a saucepan and add the remaining minced shallots, garlic, chili, and crushed lemongrass to it. When the mixture turns golden, add the marinated beef and stir-fry for ten minutes. Add the coconut water and water until it covers the beef, cook it until it boils, then lower heat. Remove all the foam from the pan.
- Put the Mui Kwe Lu liquor, roasted cinnamon, star anise, the rest of the crushed ginger in the pot, turn evenly, and cover the lid. Cook for at least an hour.
- Cut the carrots into 1cm chunks and when the beef is tender, add them to it.
- Continue cooking for ten minutes until the carrots soften. Put the sliced shallots into it and turn off the heat.
- Spoon into a bowl and serve with bread or rice.