Vietnamese Fried Banana Cake is a delicious street food snack that many people love. You can easily find a small stall or vendor in Vietnam where sells this snack. It will be an exciting experience to watch the seller fry the cake while you are having one in your hand.
This cake is an excellent combination of sweet and crunchy but not greasy. Surprisingly, it can be done in an extremely simple way. However, not everyone can prepare this dish, or they just don’t know how to make it.
Today we will share with you the detailed method to make this delicious crispy fried banana cake at home. This is the simplest and fastest way. Let’s find out now!
I. What to prepare:
- Rice flour: 240gr
- Wheat flour: 70gr
- Yellow sugar: 100gr
- Ripe bananas: 800gr (depending on how many people eat you can cook more)
- Turmeric powder: 2 teaspoons
- Glutinous rice flour: 10gr
- Tapioca scratch: 10 gr
- Instant yeast: ¼ teaspoons (If you want your cake to be more crispy not be soft, you can skip the yeast)
- Black sesame seeds 10-15gr
- Water: 400ml
II. How to make:
Step 1: Make the flour mixture
- Take a big bowl and add all the ingredients: rice flour, wheat flour, yellow sugar, glutinous rice flour, tapioca scratch, instant yeast (optional) and turmeric powder.
- Add water little by little to make the mixture smooth. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined together.
- Leave the mixture for 6 hours before frying. It’s said that this way will make the mixture smoother and all the ingredients will dissolve better. It also makes the flour lighter and crispier when frying.
Note: To make the mixture more creamlike and smoother, you can pour it through a filter to remove crumbs.
- After 6 hours, when the flour mixture is done, add the black sesame seeds to the mixture and move to the next step.
Step 2: Prepare the banana
- Remove the banana peel. (If your bananas are big, you can cut them in half, horizontally.)
- Next, put the bananas in a clean plastic bag, then press the bananas to be thin and in flat form.
- You can use anything to press the banana. It’s recommended to use the rolling pin, a bottle or glass. As long as it can make the banana to a flat slice, it’s great.
- Continue to do the same with the remaining bananas until all are done.
Step 3: Fry the banana cake
- Put the cooking oil in a hot pan and keep it in the medium heat. To make the banana crispy, you should fry it 2 times.
- Dip the flat banana in the flour mixture until it is covered with the mixture. Put the banana that is covered with the mixture to the pan then fry.
- When your banana cakes are cooked but have not turned golden, take them out then dip again in the flour mixture. When the banana cake is covered with the mixture, re-put them to the hot oil pan and fry again. Deep fry the cakes until they have golden colour.
Step 4: Enjoy the fried banana cake
- When the cakes turn golden, take it out and put into a basket or serve right away.
- The cake is better to eat right after being cooked. If you let it outside for too long, it will not be crunchy. Enjoy and share when the cake is still hot, it will be more wonderful.
Just a few simple steps above, you already know how to make crispy and delicious Vietnamese fried banana cakes, isn’t it? Enjoy your meal with your family and friends is the best. There are many more delicious recipes that you can learn and cook for your loved ones on our site. To learn more of delicious Vietnamese recipes, let’s visit our Vina website.
Hopefully that you will have a fun time in the kitchen.
Gook luck and have a happy cooking time!