Jackfruit Glutinous Rice Cake is a speciality of the Central of Vietnam. The main ingredient of the cake is glutinous rice flour cooked by steaming. Little Glutinous Rice Cake is also called as Bánh Ít. “Ít” in Vietnamese literally means little. The name is created because of the small and cute shape of the cake.
Jackfruit Glutinous Rice Cake has many different shapes such as triangle and square, long cylinder, or small pyramid. This rice cake is used as a gift in the New Year. Nowadays, due to some practical needs, the cake has become a delicious speciality in the Central of Vietnam. It’s also an attractive gift for visitors when travelling, especially to Da Nang.
Those who have chances to enjoy this special rice cake for the first time have relentlessly praised this cake by its extraordinary smell, natural sweetness. It’s a great combination of the jackfruit mixing with the salty taste, the freshness of sticky rice, coconut, and sesame seeds. All the ingredients create an excellent taste that is both delicious and strange. The Jackfruit Glutinous Rice Cake recipe may need more time to do, but it is not too complicated.
Today we will show you step-by-step introductions to make this small Jackfruit Glutinous Rice Cake recipe. Let’s start.
Vietnamese Jackfruit Glutinous Rice Cake Recipe: Easy Steps
I. What to prepare:
- 250g ripe fresh jackfruit
- 400g sticky rice flour
- 300g sugar
- 3g salt
- 50g of cooking oil
- 500g shredded coconut
- 50g tapioca starch
- Sesame seeds
- Banana leaves
- A blender and a steaming pot/ steamer
II. Easy Steps to Follow the Jackfruit Glutinous Rice Cake Recipe:
Step 1: Prepare the wrapper
- Put the ripe jackfruit to the blender and blend. Blend it till it becomes smooth. If it is hard to blend the jackfruit, add a little water to the blender.
- Take a big bowl and put all the glutinous rice flour to the bowl.
- Pour the jackfruit smooth to the bowl of glutinous rice flour, put a little salt then mix well. Add cooking oil to the mixture to make it smoother and easier to knead.
- Knead until the dough is smooth, soft and all the jackfruit are well mixed with flour.
- When the dough is done, leave it aside and cover with a plastic wrapper for 1 hour.
Step 2: Make the filling
- Take a pan and put on the stove. Heat the pan and put all the shredded coconut into it.
- Add sugar to the pan of coconut and stir well.
- Take a small bowl of water and put the tapioca starch to it then mix well. Remember to take a small amount of water.
- Pour the tapioca starch mixture to the coconut pan and stir then add peanuts.
- Keep stirring the coconut, sugar and tapioca starch mixture until well blended.
- Turn off the heat and put the pan aside to cool down.
- When the coconut fillings are cool, divide the filling into small pieces, about 10gr. Make the coconut fillings into small balls and leave aside.
Step 3: Wrap the cake
- Take the dough out and cut into small pieces. The small pieces usually around. Roll each small pieces into a flat form, you will get the wrapper of the cake.
- Add the coconut ball inside the wrapper, then wrap. Make sure the coconut ball will be fully covered by the wrapper.
- Wash the banana leaves and cut into small pieces, but they need to be bigger than the cake.
- Soak the banana leaves in hot water for a few minutes to make it soft and clean. It also makes the banana easier to wrap. When the banana leaves are cool and soft, take one by one and wrap around the cake
- You can cut some banana leaves into small strings and use the strings to secure your cake after wrapping by banana leaves.
Step 4: Steam the cake
- Heat up a steaming pot or the steamer. Put the cake inside the steamer and cook.
- After the cake is cooked, let it cool a little bit, sprinkle little sesame seeds above the cake and serve.
The Vietnamese Jackfruit Glutinous Rice Cake will be soft, sweet and fragrant with a slight jackfruit flavour. The cake has a beautiful yellow colour and is more delicious when served with coconut milk. Hopefully, you will have a fun time in the kitchen.
To get more delicious Vietnamese food recipes, visit our Vina Food category. Gook luck and have a happy cooking time!
Leave a Reply