HANOI, March 30 — Vietnam, the world’s third-largest rice exporter, has not yet lifted the ban on new rice export contracts, traders said on Monday, adding that they expect the government to remove the suspension this week and also impose a quota.
The government said last week it would halt signing new contracts until March 28 at the earliest under a review to ensure it has enough domestic supplies to cope with the virus outbreak.
“We haven’t been able to sign new contracts and have frozen our trading activities since last week,” a trader based in Ho Chi Minh City said.
“We are hearing that the government will set a limit for exports for the rest of the year,” another city-based trader said.
Vietnam, which has 194 coronavirus infections but no deaths so far, said on Friday it would stockpile 270,000 metric tons of rice, including 80,000 metric tons of unhusked paddy rice, this year to ensure food security.
Leave a Reply